View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Hmm the National is interesting. I sort of can't help but love it though. I mean the base is historically preserved craziness, and the top kind of goes toe to toe with it. It's generally not how a project like these goes, (some might call it "disrespectful" to the preserved building) but here it just sort of works. I can't wait for this to get finished up and for that little park next to Elfreth's to be built. I hope they keep the midblock signaled crosswalk and make it permanent. Huge improvements in recent years to this stretch. It makes taking a visator who wants to check out the alley a far less embarrassing experience.
At least the National doesn't follow that script that so many buildings follow - boring and safe architecture, red brick, and meant to blend in and not be seen. For example, that new development at 4th and Race or that PMC building on Arch Street. Neither are offensive but could they be any more boring of a design? I know I shit on red brick all the time but it's almost always incorporated into super bland/conservative designs. That since-redesigned low rise proposed for 9th and Washington was red brick but it was done in an interesting way.