View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 1:57 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
While it has been a national sport to decry the quality of Canadian television, as someone who has made a study of it for most of their life, I think the industry is doing just fine. I think we can match anyone for quality, where we might misconstrue that is in interest.

There are and have been many good Canadian shows that I haven't any interest in. Heartland for one, personally I've never seen an episode of Letterkenny.

I don't know about now but in the 90s Canada was the second largest producer in the world of video content and that included the UK and Japan. So we have a fair amount of experience in this business.
I am one of those who is quite critical on here though I'll admit there is some truth to this.

There is a chicken and egg aspect to Canadian TV that means most people don't even give it a chance. (This also extends to movies, but for some reason, not popular music.) With audiences so low, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that Canadian TV sucks and seemingly almost no one wants to put much effort or resources into it to produce something worthwhile.

When I was younger (before living in Quebec) I was very "into" Anglo-Canadian TV but it was I must say a bit depressing after a while due to a number of factors. While TV is first and foremost a private personal experience in the comfort of your own home part of the fun is also water cooler talk, chatter with friends, but there was almost none of that on offer in any circles I could tap into. There was also basically zero promotional or other coverage of Canadian TV in the entertainment news and media sector. Low ratings also meant that series I got into were often cancelled abruptly after only a couple of episodes or at least before the storyline could run its course. That happens in the US and Quebec TV markets too, but not nearly as frequently. Under these conditions, it's virtually impossible for an audience to become a true devoted fan base for Canadian TV.

Admittedly i am not as plugged in as I used to be but I am attuned enough to know that things have not really changed, and that in spite of efforts to create a bona fide star system (based on TV and movies) in the ROC outside Quebec, it has not really materialized.