View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 1:37 PM

I've been looking at some more of Doug White's photographs in the Huntington Digital Library. Many of them are undated, and locations are often no more accurate than "California". The one below is simply described as "Street lighting on a commercial street at night." Luckily, a sign for "King Av 5900" is just visible on the right. That puts us at the intersection of King Avenue and E Slauson Avenue in Maywood. The 1956 CD lists the Veterans of Foreign Wars No 2830 Foxhole Maywood (on the left) at 4621 E Slauson and the Casey Bearing Co Inc (on the right) at 4610 E Slauson. Looking at the cars, I'm guessing the picture dates from around a decade earlier.

Huntington Digital Library

Looking east on Slauson today. I can't see any buildings that survive from the picture above.

GSV

If Doug White had turned around, he would have seen the building in the center of the picture below on the south side of Slauson. The property sites give a build date of 1928. The motel, currently the Casa Linda, was apparently built in 1947, so it may have been there when Doug visited.

GSV