Newport Beach, CA
Lansing, MI
(London for a summer)
Midland, MI
Lansing/Ann Arbor, MI (Grad school)
Lansing/Detroit, MI
Lansing, MI
Portland, OR

I have moved so many goddamn times in my life and I haven’t got to my 4th decade. This doesn’t even include moves within the same cities. I had a deadbeat dad, which had an influence. Michigan’s economy always sucked, so moving for jobs. I had trouble in school at first and bounced around. I followed a girl to Florida when her parents got transferred and she cheated on me so I moved to Jax with family. Fell in love with a woman 10 years my senior on the Internet in Southern California at one point, moved there. Didn’t work out, moved back and finished school. Graduated during the recession, moved to my parents’ basement. Went to grad school in Ann Arbor, graduated, got a job in Lansing. I’ve lived in my current house for 3 years and it’s the second longest period I’ve lived in one place as an adult, ever. Also stayed with family in other places growing up, but don’t count those as “living there”.

I would not wish Lansing, Michigan on my worst enemies. I don’t like disparaging a place and I won’t belabor it, but I am still recovering from losing almost 10 years of my life to that area. Michigan has its nice places but it truly sucked the life out of me and Portland has brought most of it back.