View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You make a good point here and one that should be amplified. Getting around DT Dartmouth is a nightmare. The street network is a mess and has been made marginally worse thanks to the area councillor's love of bump-outs at intersections and bike lanes. But the bigger problem is the actual network itself. The streets meander this way and that, and there are few connections with the area on either side of DT that are efficient and even slightly direct. Victoria Rd does not connect with DT at all, becoming one-way outbound from DT; Wyse does not connect directly, requiring a diversion around Dillman Park; and the on the other side of DT you have the mess that is Five Corners. Not only is bus service poor as a result, but the hills heading north make human-powered movement difficult as well. There are no easy solutions unfortunately, but projects like this can only make things worse in that respect.

As for the proposal itself, I am less enthused by the design than it seems some others are, as it looks like most of the other taller structures being proposed. The integration of the old Post Office is OK, but it looks rather out of place next to the new building. It sure would have been nice for some of its sandstone elements on the first couple of floors to continue around to the new part.
That's an interesting take, Keith. Perhaps because I am so familiar with the area, I never noticed any difficulty getting around. In fact I'd offer that it's easier to navigate than DT Halifax. The street layout is what it is, but is not really unique or unusual, and the 'complicated' intersections (like Five Corners) is well-signalled and I don't recall ever having an issue getting through there.

I agree that the curb bumpouts are an idea that could go away tomorrow and it would not be missed, but that's been discussed in many threads so there's no need to continue.

On thing I find whenever I go to DT Dartmouth (by car) is that it's difficult to cross Ochterloney in some spots due to traffic and not great sight lines. I've often thought that Victoria should have a signalled intersection, and now perhaps Ochterloney and King should as well. The layout is too tight for roundabouts, but as development increases, traffic will as well so something will need to be done.