View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:25 AM
Fourth and Main

Missed One! - Winston Mutual Renovation:
I'm starting to find more buildings I forgot to add to the construction list. Among them is the Winston Mutual Insurance Building Renovation! Two tenants are signed for the renovated office space in what is seen as the most important building in East Winston. I love finding buildings I may have missed, since it makes the already impressive proposed and construction lists even longer! If you know of one, post it below or let me know about it, so we can add it.

Winston-Salem's Tech Boom:
Winston-Salem ranked 7th in nation in High Tech GDP Growth from 2011-2012. The city is also starting to skyrocket up the job growth rankings for the latest year available. And yes, it's mostly tech jobs and that is reflected in what we see under construction or recently completed.

Speaking of tech jobs: Inmar is talking about hiring possibly hundreds more people in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They haven't given a set number, but could announce something in a few months. This company is always hiring. If you're looking for a job, majored (science) in a computer related field, and love Winston-Salem, this is a good place to look.

B/E Aerospace has signed two or three more contracts this week and is projected to reach $4 billion in revenue, when their 4th quarter numbers are released. This is another tech company that is always hiring in Winston-Salem for office workers, engineers, and more.

City of the Arts:
UNCSA won an Emmy Award for their work on a major performance downtown that was broadcast on state-wide TV. Further proof of Winston-Salem's amazing arts scene, which is one of the major attractions for companies relocating to Winston-Salem or people moving to Winston-Salem.

Fun Events:
I would like to highlight some of the unusual events that keep Winston-Salem weird. Among them is the Beer Run. The Beer Run starts with a 5k race in March, and each subsequent race, through November, adds a longer distance option, up to a 15k. What makes the event unusual is the free beer after each race and the chance to meet new running and drinking buddies. If you place in your age group, you can win a customized pint glass.

Beer Update:

Source: NC Brewing

Interesting Fact: This Winston-Salem brewery has won national awards for their label designs.

So you like beer? If you love beer in Winston-Salem, you're likely excited and waiting for Foothills to release this year's batch of Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout on February 1st. The release attracts national attention, with long lines of people camped-out downtown on Fourth Street. If you don't like camping-out, you can always pay a little extra to break-in-line. There are four break-in-line opportunities that will support great Winston-Salem charities and also includes a $50 Foothills gift card, a Sexual Chocolate beer goblet, a prize pack and a mystery beer gift to the winner. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-of-the...item1e85bea547

Fourth Street Updates:
a/perture movie theatre expanding again! And by 25%! This follows a recent expansion of the downtown theatre last year. It shows how much Winston-Salem loves independent, foreign, documentary, local, and festival films. There is also talk of another similar theatre opening in 2015 on the same street, to give a/perture a little competition. Many people may not know that Winston-Salem has two film schools, including an internationally known film school, which has the kids of Hollywood celebrities going there, at UNCSA. If you think you may have seen the son or daughter of a famous movie star on Fourth or Trade streets or in Washington Park, you probably did.

West End Mill Works Update:
The Porch Kitchen and Cantina is now open. West End Mill Works is more significant than I though, with multiple former industrial buildings, being converted by hipsters, into a massive arts, creative job incubator, and entertainment center. Since it's along Canal Street, it's easy to miss it. Don't miss it on your visit!

Source: West End Mill Works

Bailey Park and The Food Truck Park Update:
Trees are installed around the outside of the parks. I'm guessing all of the power lines were removed as well? A thank you to members at WSTB for sharing this.

The Link Apartments:
If you're looking for a great apartment near the ballpark, university medical center, and Burke Street, try the Link Apartments. Preleasing starts in Spring 2014 - Call 877-844-0001

Bailey Power Plant Update:
The U.S. Park service must approve (due to national register of historic places designation) construction of the world's largest kaleidoscope and they are still working on a feasibility study on the stacks, before construction on the kaleidoscopes can begin.

Source: Steve Lawing / Scott Cole

You will actually stand inside the smokestacks to operate this! I would love to stand inside them! The hipsters, artists, and tech crowd transforming this city are all awesome!

23-storey Luxury Hotel at 401 N. Main
One of the three finalists could be hotel developer Mit Shah. There is also talk that an architect involved with the interiors of NYC's 432 Park Avenue could be involved with at least one of the proposals. I love that building and it adds to the excitement of seeing the proposals in a few weeks.

525@Vine Update:
Color changing lights are now in place and they are awesome! We are maybe 10 weeks away from tenants moving-in! I think the architect has another award winning design with this building and the building next to it.

Source: IQ District Neighborhood Association

$200 Million Mixed-use Project?
The N.C., AIA award winning architectural firm of West & Stem are designing a $200 million development named Carrollton, which could include 1,000 residential units and 1 million square feet of retail and office space. At least one office building is already completed (about a month ago), with another about to start. This could be a significant project. We'll see how it unfolds.

Completed! - Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC):
I think the 192 bed research cancer center is finished and open for use. I'm removing it from our list of construction above. But not without a few photographs to showcase the tallest building built in 2013. This is the state's largest comprehensive cancer center! The healthcare in this city is really amazing. Because it's a research center, it also features a conference center for researchers. Again, research and technology jobs are growing fast in Winston-Salem, and this center is now hiring, creating more tech jobs. This facility offers many treatment services for cancer patients that can only be found in this facility in the state of North Carolina. There are also efforts underway to make this facility even more accessible, through proposed streetcar and lightrail systems, connecting to Union Station.

Source

Comprehensive Cancer Center (Hawthorne Hill) STREETCAR ROUTE
- Architect: HKS Architects
- Hospital/Medical Facilities
- Cost: $125 million (Top 20 largest developments in Southeast U.S. by cost)
- Square Feet: 530,600
- Beds: 192
- BUILT

If you like this thread, take part in the discussion. The reason I only post in it once a week is due to a lack of conversation. As you can see, there is enough in each week's update to talk about every day for the entire week. SSP is also easy to join and a great community, where you can share almost anything of interest in cities, construction, city art, and architecture. There are also hidden forums only members can see. To register, click here: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/register.php

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 14, 2014 at 6:08 AM.