View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:23 AM
Fourth and Main

Update for this week:

I have a lot of fun news to share this week. I'll start with with a few photography updates.

I don't live in Winston-Salem, so I have to search for update photographs from anywhere I can find them.

Inmar Headquarters Downtown / IQ District
The person in the middle is the CEO of Inmar. It appears as if the worker in the background is installing the building's architectural lighting? I really want to see the interior of this tech company's headquarters. I think they have 6 buildings in Winston-Salem. This building will be their largest, opening with over 1,000 employees. The building is built so they can add another 500 employees. All IT employees. Looking for a job? Apply at this company. They are always hiring.

Source

525@Vine Downtown / IQ District
This building, currently under construction, is next door to Inmar's headquarters. It will eventually house a 500 employee operation that makes phone apps for major retailers, a research organization for public health, a PA department, a bioinformatics operation, a health club, a multi-storey elevated conference center and the Center for Emerging Technologies. Obviously, it will also have retail spaces/storefronts in a nice courtyard.

source

760 West Fourth Downtown / Village District
Demolition has started at 760 West Fourth, which could become an 11-storey high-rise? We will see what happens when they officially present their plans to the city.

Link Apartments Downtown / Village District
This is actually a chain type of apartment development. You'll find Link Apartments in other cities. It's still interesting, at 205 units! It also has electric vehicle charging stations.

These photographs are a couple of months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB

I missed one!
Silas Pointe
HMB District
This project is at about to start construction. I think an 80,000 square foot office building will be the first to break ground and a hotel, that will share parking with two office buildings, is currently under renovation. It includes a movie theatre, apartments, retail, a future light rail station, parking decks, and offices. The building about to start construction doesn't seem to match anything in the renderings? We'll see what happens with this.

Source

Fourth & Broad Office Building Downtown / Village District
The financial company building this is keep a lot of secrets with this one, but it should be a beautiful addition to downtown.

Thanks to TwinCity at WSTB for this photograph!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity @ WSTB
Sports Update:
An indoor football team and a minor league hockey team have leased or are about to lease the Annex as lead tenants.

B/E Aerospace is growing again, by acquiring Texas energy companies. It should be interesting to see what impact this will have on Winston-Salem employment. B/E Aerospace employs 1,400 engineers and office workers in Winston-Salem, including the new CEO at the company's new office building.

Creative Corridors meetings this week! We'll see if something interesting is shared from this meeting?

Did I forget something? Yes, that is right... the 23-storey hotel!

23-storey Hotel at 401 N. Main Downtown / Restaurant Row
For those who don't know, hotel developers have fought for the ultimate prize. The ability to renovate the Empire Building at the RA Headquarters Complex. The building was a "blank check" project from a company who's products helped defined the jazz/swing age. It was designed by Shreve Lamb & Harmon in 1927 and completed in a year - yes the same architects as the Empire State Building! This building was North Carolina's tallest building from 1928-1965, when the 30-storey glass box next door to it was completed. It is an amazing work of art deco architecture, with marble from around the world, gold and silver ceilings, original art deco light fixtures, rare metals on the doors, etc.,. No surprise, this was 1929 AIA Building of the Year, as the best building design in the United States that year, which many art deco lovers believe was the top year for architecture. As you can see, it is a prize!

What is new? 7 hotel developers were selected as having plans that matched the owner's vision. 3 of those developers are now finalists to convert this building into a luxury hotel and condos. They will also restore the original ground floor retail!

Source: 1998 by Preservation North Carolina

Source: Seth Gaines

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...d6c3.image.jpg
Source: David Rolfe at Journalnow

This mural in the lobby just screams late 1920s jazz/swing age!

Source: blindkennyb

Source: Holly Blue

It is covered in beautiful artwork and art deco. It looks like a luxury hotel now.

If you're a developer who can take on a $60 million hotel project, you can still submit a proposal to the owner through CBRE. Just ask about 401 N. Main in Winston-Salem. One of North Carolina's top luxury hotel developers tried, but this building's renovation cost is more than value of all of his hotels and restaurants combined. This is a big project and will likely include city/county incentives.

Winston-Salem forum members at WSTB think this could become a 21c Museum Hotel, Intercontinental, or some type of Westin flag? We'll see. It could also be independent or maybe a smaller chain will win it? I think everyone wants 21c Museum Hotels and anything less than that is likely disappointment.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:49 AM.