View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:20 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSF View Post
Every major war can be traced back to religious clashes.
And, man, you don't need to look any further than Israel and Palestine for proof of that!

Anyway, back on topic: Both Andrew Scheer and Justin Trudeau's statements after the election have me feeling like both are too arrogant to actually govern in a minority situation. It sounds to me like Trudeau is going to try as hard as he can to act business-as-usual, and Scheer, should he succeed Trudeau, will likely govern in very much the same way, proposing policies that no other party likes and using inflammatory and divisive language to shame their opposition to them.

The downside for us lefties is that Trudeau is doing this first, so the backlash will be against him and could lead to a Scheer majority in election 44. If the government falls soon and Scheer is handed the reins of Parl43 for a period of time, it will be more likely to backfire on Scheer in election 44, especially if the Liberals have enough time to find a new leader before then. It would actually be in Scheer's best interest to not become prime minister during the 43rd parliament. Wait this thing out for at least 18 months so that Trudeau has enough time to fully and thoroughly shoot himself in the foot with his arrogance (and get those more balanced committees to look into that which needs looking into) and things will probably play into the Conservatives hands. That is, sadly, where I see this going at the current moment.

The Liberals could prevent it by implementing proportional representation (ranked ballots won't get support from the NDP or Bloc) but considering it was the Liberals more than any other party who benefited from the distortion of FPTP, I don't see them actually delivering on that promise. Election 44 will be FPTP. Trudeau's promise of electoral reform is completely dead.