View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Getting super off-topic, butttt....

We're getting to the point where electric buses won't even need wires. HRM just approved a pilot project to get a fully electric bus. Hopefully it goes well and all new bus purchases can start being electric. I think this transition to electric is going to be huge for downtown areas around the world.

On the topic of underground wires: they're about 10 times as expensive as overhead wires. NSP will never put them in themselves, because as a regulated utility all customers are technically paying for them, and they don't really want to justify paying for underground wires in Halifax to their customers in Ecum Secum. So it's up to HRM or developers to pay for undergrounding (which is what happened in the areas of downtown where it's been done). Again, that costs $$$, so the HRM has a priority list of streets to do over time.

Even if someone pays for them, NSP doesn't like them. Underground wires obviously have a lot less go wrong with them, but when something does go wrong they're really expensive to fix. I've heard some rumblings that the underground systems in some of HRM's older suburbs (Cowie Hill and the like) are aging, and when it comes time to replace them NSP will put them above ground.

Personally, I'd like to see them done, especially in high-profile areas (Bishop St. next to Province House being one...). But at the same time, it's a pretty low priority in the grand scheme of things. I don't think the government and residents of this city "lack vision" if we don't run out and underground all the wires today.
Interesting info regarding the electric buses. I was under the impression that the battery technology wasn't up to par as yet to make it a viable option. I'd be interested to hear how their trial goes. I suspect that, in the long run, it will come down to cost as usual. Just like in the case of BC's hydrogen fuel cell buses, diesel continues to chosen over more environmentally friendly choices due to its lower running costs. As battery technology improves and costs come down, maybe the scales will tip the other way. Additionally, though, electricity prices are not showing any sign of reducing which could also factor into the decision.

Regarding undergrounding wires, I agree that it would be a good idea in some of the showcase areas in the city, but at 10X cost who is going to pay? Perhaps yal can add some good information on how this has been paid for in other areas rather than simply putting Halifax down for not adhering to his/her wishes.