View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
If I had the influence, I would redevelop as much of Kempt Rd as possible into high-rises. That would certainly make for an interesting drive along Massachusetts Ave.
I agree, but I think anything around the hydrostone park and the shops should be restricted to about 15 stories. It's important (at least to me) to keep that park exposed to sunlight and not make it feel boxed in. Granted even if you could go up to 15 stories, not every site would.

I've warmed more and more to the idea of the Young/Robie/Kempt area being high rise in light of more applications hitting that area. I would be fine with it...no maximum height at all.

But I would want to use the HbD (Larry Beasley) model - that looks at density and building height as a commodity and leverage from it some private $ for public benefit. So you could start out at 5 stories as of right, but once you go beyond you have to bonus for more height. That can include affordable housing, contributions to a parks fund (to fix up local parks or buy land to build one), contributions to transit, public amenity space, etc.