View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
One thing that isn't being discussed (at least not here) is the fact that the Obamas don't WANT to be in Chicago again. They want to be in NYC, Valerie Jarrett (in more than a couple news outlets) is not-so-secretly pushing for them to relocate permanently to NYC, the oldest daughter wants to go to school in NYC, Obama himself is prepping for a post-Presidential job at the UN, so all signs are pointing to NYC for his Presidential Library, considering he has publicly stated they want to live wherever their oldest goes to college, and which is also where they want their library to be.
I think this is all wild speculation from literally incredible sources. I also agree with nomarandlee: the ease with which a lot of people gobble it up speaks more to the city's insecurities than anything else.

For the record, I feel pretty confident in asserting that Malia will go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Stanford. They are the most prestigious schools in the country and all of them will court her heavily. (They also have the resources needed to accommodate such a high profile student.) I'd be shocked if she ended up at Columbia. Also, my best friend works for the UN in a capacity that gives her access to its higher-ups. If there were any truth to his rumored interest in a position there, she would have caught wind of it. Based on the tenor of the meetings she's attended featuring him or his surrogates, I'm under the impression that he doesn't view it too favorably. Which makes sense. Though noble in aim, the UN epitomizes bureaucracy at its worst. There's a wanton disregard for financial accountability, and the internal political machinations make House of Cards look about as dramatic as student council at an elementary school.

More importantly, I don't think there's anything about the history of presidential libraries to suggest that the Obamas' post White House digs will determine or even influence its location.

Personally, I think nomarandlee is right to read between the lines. It all smacks of political strategizing to me.

Last edited by Ch.G, Ch.G; Jan 6, 2015 at 7:23 AM.