View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I thought that he was putting emphasis on 'there', in that there isn't demand/necessity THERE (that location) for skyscrapers, with other identified opportunity sites currently avaialble
Yes, that was my meaning. Thanks!

I'm all for Kings Wharf, and I really hope the amendments pass. And downtown Dartmouth is becoming a hot place, so demand is happening, but not at the level that will use up all of the opportunities anytime soon. When you look at Kings Wharf + Dartmouth Cove + the WDC-1 lot + Irish Town Rd. + all of the smaller projects on the books + vacant lots and surface parking there are probably decades worth of opportunity.

In determining whether we should be upset the developer built now at six stories instead of holding out for ten or more we have to ask if filling up the gaps now is more important than getting the perfect building. I think in Dartmouth's case it is.

Smaller projects like these, built right now, will also bring needed vitality right now, which could spur demand for bigger things. I also see them as defusing some of the tension over changes to the downtown that arise from some of the larger projects.