View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:41 AM

LA High School ..second building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
So, I was looking at the wonderful photos posted of the second high school, and trying to place in my mind how it related to the location on the hill of the first high school (after they moved it from Poundcake Hill). I found what I was looking for on the Baist maps, but it also set me to wondering about Stevens Place, southeast of the corner of Grand & Sunset, which is now also part of the school property.

Historic Map Works

I know the street is long gone, and the land now occupied by that giant school building, but I wanted to see if anything remained of it - like a half-covered remnant of curved curbing or something else to indicate there was once a street corner there.

There's no curved concrete that I can tell. But wait - right next to what would have been the SE corner of Grand Ave. & Stevens Place, there is a storm drain, surrounded by concrete that looks older than the rest of the sidewalk. And look what's painted on it:

Like that brick basement wall recently excavated downtown on a lot that has been a parking lot for decades, posted a few pages back - it's interesting how some things can stick around long past when you'd think they would be completely gone. If you Google for stevens place, los angeles, you even get a map of just the right spot, even though there is no Stevens Place actually on the map.
and while you look at Stevens Place ..what is right before our eyes...none other than the north building of the high school..or at least what is labled as such