View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I treat the claims of cheap carbon capture with skepticism, but if it actually is true, then solving climate change is remarkably easy. Just implement a carbon tax and credit system with the price higher than the cost of capturing it, and then we can carry on almost as normal.

Of course, we'll need renewable sources of energy to fuel the CC plants, but that problem will sort itself out as the carbon input into the plants energy will be built into the price. As long as the price is right, then it will be cheaper to take CO2 out of the air than put it back in.

So, either we implement carbon pricing or we can fight each other over worthless Green New Deal ideas that will never happen.
Until they've done it I don't think there's anything wrong with reasonable amount of caution, but increasingly they're doing it, which is encouraging. Contrary to what Leturneau says at the end of that bit, I think new nuclear is going to be major source of electricity in the medium to long term, and it is essentially zero carbon, but even if they had to use CO2 emitting sources you're still coming out waaaay on the plus side when you sequester. I've got another video to post also from Inventys that talks about developing a carbon market for captured carbon, and that is a preferred way to go, because it would mean a reduced or perhaps no carbon tax. There's so much going on right now that it's hard to see how it will all shake out, but lots of very good developments means lots of positive possible paths forward.