View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:57 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more models finished! I'm nearly done the second page of "world skyscrapers" diagram on the site!

First up, the Capital Market Authority Tower in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

This one was very challenging! Even though I was able to find good source material, the most difficult part oddly enough was finding the center point of the tower in the elevation view. I managed to locate a section view which allowed me to line it up with the plan view (which the plan had a better indication of the center point) and from there I traced the inside profile of the 'split' between each of the three main sections. Then I used an elevation drawing to get the outside profile of the diamond panels. From there I was able to figure out how they transition into the main hexagonal form and build from there. The base section was also a challenge and if it weren't for a random plan drawing with a section cut just above the lower roof section which I was able to find in a video about the structure, I don't know how I would have gotten the roof details for that lower section correct!

And the next one is Eton Place Tower 1 in Dalian, China!

This one was a simpler shape but the way the angled portion cuts into the main rectangular shape was a pain to get just right. I also put extra detail into the window framing as this would otherwise be a flat surface, as well as detail on the roof that I was able to barely make out from Google satellite images. I'm not sure the top portion that angles back into the roof is correct or not but this is what I gathered from those satellite images.

I will eventually do tower 2 but as it's much further down the list, it may be awhile. I may offer a version with both towers in a single model attached by the concourse, or whatever it is, but it's probably not a very popular one so I'm not sure it's worth the extra work there...