View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:42 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Anyone want to place bets on the chosen route and level of grade separation for the project?

My predictions:
  • Grade separation at Chemin Vanier (south branch);
  • Grade separation at Des Grives (north route);
This is interesting. I'm curious what makes you think that these two intersections would be grade-separated? There are a number of others I'd probably do before these in order of priority:
  • Laurier at Portage/Maisonneuve to allow trams to get from Laurier to the east side of the Portage Bridge. This is a particularly important stretch because it'll have to accommodate Aylmer, Plateau, and eventually Gatineau and Hull lines. The loop will also mean a T intersection of trams with various turning movements. If Maisonneuve/Portage dips below Laurier, it would free the surface of this monstrosity of an intersection for easy tram, pedestrian, and bike movement. The NCC could really capitalize on the space's central location and extraordinary views of Parliament to create a beautiful public space befitting one of the main entrances to Gatineau and Quebec.
  • Laurier at Eddy, to avoid getting box-blocked by cars on the Chaudière Bridge. As mentioned above, this is likely to eventually be a very busy stretch for trams in the future, so we can't have three or four lines blocked by Karen's Dodge Caravan.
  • Chemin d'Aylmer at Champlain Bridge, again for the busy turning movements. The tram might stay at the surface, and the westbound lane would dip below it to permit left turns onto the bridge under the tracks;
  • Boulevard Plateau at Saint Raymond to avoid the busy turning movements;