View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
I am about to start writing my final paper for one of my architecture history classes and have quite an easy topic to discuss: Trace early Modern Architecture, discuss what you consider to be its theoretical basis , and show what you believe to bethe key monuments best exemplifying Modernism. Conclude with a short discussion of the principal short-comings of early Modernism and assess the arguments of it's most vocal critics.

I was planning on starting in the Art Noveau with Mackintosh's Glasgow School of art, move through works such as the fagus shoe factory, etc etc etc.
When I get home from work, I will post the rest of the buildings I consider noteworthy. What do you guys think?

I know how much knowledge some of you have on the subject (Steely), thats what seperates SSP.
You also should look into early versons of the so called "slab" modern architecture. These are office buildings that were the first ones to be a 3D slab without ornamitation or setback. The UN Secretariat building from 1950 is probably the very first example of this. The 2nd would probably be the US Steel-Mellon building in Pittsburgh from 1951. Back issues of the magazine Architecture Forum have great articles on both of these early modern slabs. Most large university libraries have bound copies of Architecture Forum magazine. I forget the exact issue, but the artclies are from 1950 or 1951.

Last edited by zeno333; Dec 12, 2006 at 7:00 AM. Reason: typo