View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I suggested you read the link I posted. His "facts" on solar were total bullshit. Figures that were well over a decade out of date and/or totally made up. On biomass... He's talking about climate change but doesn't seem to understand the carbon cycle or net emissions accounting? That is straight up ignorance.

There's also the tired strawman arguments that any alternative technology should be free of any industrial waste. All in a buildup to the ultimate conclusion that the real problem is too many humans. Falling in line with a long tradition of white western environmentalists complaining about the surplus population. Google the Sierra Club's support for eugenics.

There's scientists who are now so pissed at it, they are calling for it to be taken down. And I agree with them.
I read the link. I'm sure newer solar panels are much more efficient than the numbers he quoted in the movie and I knew his 10 year life cycle was off as I was watching the movie. For biomass, I don't see any reasonable argument for it, so I take no issue with the movie on that. Even the article you quoted doesn't have anything on that aspect.

It's obviously impossible to produce energy without any sort of waste and the movie doesn't even try to explore what energy alternatives might be better for the environment on any level (waste, emissions, local impact...)

Anyway you look at it though, humans are the problem. No other species decimates the planet like we do. Humans need to stop focusing on the economy and place resources in saving the environment, and that means sustainable energy and reducing waste drastically (with the goal of eliminating waste completely).