View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 6:45 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Just flipped on Tucker Carlson for a half-minute and saw him talking about this. It was predictably cringe-worthy analysis and supportive of this Trump edict.

This is of course in no way surprising. Conservative minded people tend to over-romanize history and look to harken back to the mythologized past instead of the risking of a better future. And the real psychotic low-imagination ones will even outlaw all but singular forms of art/architecture not unlike what a few 1930's European regimes did.

The oh so ironic element regarding this issue is again the blatant hypocrisy of these federal officials claiming that "architectural elites" are ruining the country with these modernist buildings and that it is they who know what best is good art/design (Grecco-Roman) as opposed to local officials and the actual designers. So much again or the charade of hating big government.

Instead of actually pushing for guidelines that actually make more pleasant communities in regards to transit, walkability, livability, efficiency, social cohesion these clowns think that good designs means plopping a few more dozen, likely mediocre, Greek-Roman fakes around the country of which is one style that is aplenty already in this country.
So much this. Not only is this eerily reminiscent of some seriously fucked up past regimes, it's also painfully Eurocentric. I've seen some alt-right types who hate modern architecture, I'm sure they will love this. All the more reason to dump it.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5