View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Should see more about how this thing appears from the sides and is accessed. With a platform sitting over the tracks, I picture what is effectively an extension of McCormick Place, topped with towers. So most is elevated up off the street. A few of the obvious design questions for me: Without streets cutting through, is it only accessed via cu-de-sac entrances which then require visitors to go up a level? IIANM, much of the area to the west is pretty well developed so there doesn't appear to be much room to work with from that side. Is the plan to have a street run alongside (use the busway)? Does the plaform wall abut the existing area or is it lined with structures? Would certainly prefer to have to the west side appear closer to a normal streetscape. On the east side, just the notion of extending the McCormick Place wall is unappealing, if that is the plan. Where is parking tucked in?
I can see how this kind of location works for residential where people may like to feel removed and private. I don't know about the skymall though
It looks like vehicle access is from Lake Shore Drive only. There is a 2-way "Inner Drive" that runs between the McFetridge and 18th St exits, although it is under structure rather than being open to the sky like other parts of the Inner Drive.

Since delivery trucks can't go on LSD, there's also a service road that is an extension of Mines Drive that runs under McCormick Place. Assuming this would be used for moving trucks and retail deliveries.

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...evelopment.jpg

Pedestrian access is a little murkier but it looks like the main access point is a wide path from the south gate of Soldier Field over LSD, through the entertainment area, then gradually sloping back down to grade through Mark Twain Park at Indiana. Presumably the park would be regraded, kinda like the park in Lakeshore East at Alta/Cirrus. There would also be some kind of access near the current pedestrian bridge at 18th, but this would probably be more of a secondary entrance.

https://chicagoyimby.com/wp-content/...evelopment.jpg