View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
One Central released their first promo video, they brought several business groups and community orgs to help pitch their plan

Link: https://www.onecentralchicago.com/
Should see more about how this thing appears from the sides and is accessed. With a platform sitting over the tracks, I picture what is effectively an extension of McCormick Place, topped with towers. So most is elevated up off the street. Is that accurate? A few of the obvious design questions for me: Without streets cutting through, is it only accessed via cu-de-sac entrances which then require visitors to go up a level? IIANM, much of the area to the west is pretty well developed so there doesn't appear to be much room to work with from that side. Is the plan to have a street run alongside (use the busway)? Does the plaform wall abut the existing area or is it lined with structures? Would certainly prefer to have to the west side appear closer to a normal streetscape. On the east side, just the notion of extending the McCormick Place wall is unappealing, if that is the plan (edit: the video portrays street level activity and a great deal alongside LSD west of the stadium. But is that a real plan? The tracks have to be somewhere in there unless the idea is to bury them). Where is parking tucked in?
I can see how this kind of location works for residential where people may like to feel removed and private. I don't know about the skymall though

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:29 PM.