View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I believe he worked in Toronto for 21 years.
The taxation comments are not knew to me but we must remember that municipal taxation, and governance, is completely different south of the border. In smaller jurisdictions people can attend council meetings and engage in discussion of issues. In addition their accounting practices leave a lot to be desired.
I'm not sure about a 'Benefiits Tax' he talked about; generally that is captured in Canada through the higher value/purchase price of a condo overlooking a park such as Public Gardens. I doubt the condos at the back of the Trillium have the same cachet or price as those fronting on South Park. There are 10 unsold units in The Trillium, my guess they are the ones facing Brenton and within a few years they will be facing a new high rise which will front on Brenton.
He's animated. confident, knows the material and never dull. A week of him would be good for HRM. He asked if anyone from the province was in the room - one man leaning against a pillar timidly raised his hand. Sums up Nova Scotia.
I believe Toronto used the value capture tax for things like condos facing parks; since the Toronto Charter gives them increased taxation powers.
You may just get a week of him next year. That's all I'm saying for now...but we have something cooking.