View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
The point is that it's a missed connection, and that it connects with existing infrastructure. One of the biggest issues in Hamilton and north america in general with cycling infrastructure is the fact that it is so fragmented and that everyone is expected to feel comfortable where you feel comfortable. That John St bridge was a spot to extend the cycling network to Cannon, and it doesn't make sense to have a section in the middle with no infra.
Spot on. There's a definite need to think of transportation in terms of networks.

We do that with highways and arterial roads, and with transit (albeit not as well... politicians still tend to think of routes and modes in isolation). It needs to be the same with bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, with the same level of consideration for connectivity and safety of the users.

Disjointed cycling infrastructure will affect how it's used, and by whom. There will be riders who are comfortable cycling on a "gap" in the network, but many who will just think "what's the point, I'm risking my life if I try to go that way"

The Keddy Trail will be a major and key connector in the city's bicycling network!

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 3, 2020 at 8:59 PM.