View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I still believe that if you are going to build a subway, it should go down Division. There is more density and investments going on Division than Powell - much more. A Division MAX line could branch off from the new Milwaukie MAX line at Division, descend into a tunnel and surface somewhere around 82nd, where the street is wider. Then run at grade, like the blue line along East Burnside, all the way to Gresham.

Powell really only has retail between Milwaukie and Foster. There is very little density along its length. East of I-205 Powell is a 2-lane road without sidewalks for much of its length. It has more of a rural character than Aloha or SW Portland!

By contrast, Division is a 5-lane highway with bike lanes, dense development, retail, complete infrastructure (including sidewalks), along virtually its entire length.

On the flip side, both streets run all the way into downtown Gresham, although Powell serves more parks, such as Powell Butte, Kelley Butte and Creston. But parks don't attract ridership, either.
If ever a subway is on the table, I would agree. I don't think anyone has proposed this in the thread. The image in my previous post would all be--apart from the rail yard crossing at 17th, and the Powell TC at 205--at grade.