View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:25 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Your link says "The Alliance compiled a ranking of cities with the most miles of bicycle facilities per square mile using data submitted by the 52 largest municipalities in America." The only reason SF is at #1 is because of its compactness. Hardly the only or complete measure of the "Best city for bicyclists!" but you know how these lists play out. Breathless, controversial headline--CLICK HERE!
That's what's puzzling to me. Austin is getting better bike infrastructure, but it's minimal at this point. We only have a couple of places with a physical barrier separating bikes from traffic. Some of the bike lanes have been widened or have had stripes painted next to them as a buffer, and we do have a lot of bike lanes in Austin. Basically I can ride from my house in South Austin all the way to downtown and never leave a bike lane for the whole 6 mile route. Still, I've always assumed there are places with better infrastructure.

http://www.statesman.com/news/ap/top...to-work/nfrc9/
Quote:
Updated: 2:42 p.m. Thursday, May 8, 2014 | Posted: 2:42 p.m. Thursday, May 8, 2014
Census: More Americans biking to work

The Associated Press

A new report from the Census Bureau says the annual average number of Americans who biked to work from 2008 to 2012 is about 786,000.

That's almost 61 percent more than the 488,000 in the year 2000 who said they rode bikes to work.
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/...on-17937.shtml
Quote:
Bike Car On The Streets Of Houston

Updated: Thursday, May 8 2014, 12:55 PM CDT

An attorney in Houston uses pedal power to get to and from work but he's not riding any ordinary bicycle. Johnny Havens is the proud owner of an ELF.

By riding three miles to and from work every day he keeps his cost low saving about $300 to $400 a month on insurance and gas.

"It goes 20 mph on an electric motor goes 30 when you pedal with it," said Havens.

When Havens gets to work, he parks it in the bike rack for free avoiding a parking garage or parking meter.