View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

enlarged

Can anyone figure out where this was taken? (I especially like the building in the distance at the end of the street)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

We're looking south on New Hampshire Ave. from Monroe St. What was then the southern border of the LACC campus is behind the photographer. The building that ER fancies was and is at 4247 Melrose Ave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Money View Post

Here is what that building looks like now on Google Maps Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/bFL2T The building now houses "CrossFit City of Angels" work-out gym. The windows on the second story are the same size as in the photo from the early '50s -- not too surprising since the building is brick construction.
Here's the CrossFit building from the link, although I've zoomed in one step closer.

GSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Money View Post

According to Google Maps Help, "From within Google Maps, you can't share: a screenshot or image of the map itself". Does anyone know how to get around that limitation so that the image can be shown without having to click on the link? Right clicking on a Google Map street view does not bring up a menu, which is not the case with a JPG image.
It's very simple: you do a screengrab of the image (works for anything you see on screen e.g. GSV, City Directories, digital library images etc.), save it, and then use an image hosting service to post it.

NB. These instructions apply to Windows.
  1. There are many ways to get a screengrab. I used to use Microsoft OneNote, but since changing computers, I just use the PrtSc button and crop my images. There are many third-party tools that give extra functionality.
  2. You don't need a fancy image editor to paste your images into and save them. You can just about get by with MS Paint, but free alternatives like Paint.NET offer many of the useful features of expensive editors for no outlay.
  3. Pick an image host. I posted links to three popular sites a week ago, but here's a reminder: Photobucket, ImageShack and Flickr. More are available. These sites are generally free to begin with, but will probably charge a small fee to get extra storage or to pay for extra bandwidth if you post a large number of images.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but feel free to PM me for further details. I'll help if I can .