View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 12:27 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I don't care where Mister F is from (no offence to him), and I didn't see anybody come up with that reason.

The fact is there are no professional baseball or basketball leagues in Canada (other than the National Basketball League of Canada, which started only a couple years ago). If Torontonians who enjoy baseball or basketball want to watch those sports at their highest competitive level (or at merely a professional level) there is no alternative other than to join MLB or the NBA.

I wonder why nobody has made the same criticism of Montreal because of the Expos or of Vancouver because of the Grizzlies. The only absurd thing is implicitly denying that any other major Canadian city (including those in Quebec) would be thrilled to have a MLB or NBA team if it were possible.
It's a good point about the absence of leagues but there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing at play here. (And if the biggest city in the country is automatically counted out, it makes things way more difficult.)

As for certain cities being finger-pointed more, well I guess Toronto stands out because many people there can be more brash and adamant about all of this, but I have often pointed out on here that the wannabe Americanism is a trait you find all across Canada, not just in southern Ontario.