View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 6:48 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. The best way you can thank these photographers and local businesses is through hiring them or buying from them, if you can.

Yes, this is one of the cities Finance Buzz selected as the Top 15 Cities for Newly Remote Workers. It's a great place to move to!

Video Link

Due to a lack of replies, the photographs are adding-up and slowing things down. As a solution, I will add a new section to the first post on this thread, called "Latest Construction Photographs and Updates" with a link to just this post and not the entire page of photographs. If you click that link, you will only load this post's photographs and not several previous months worth. I may add links for the last four updates, with the date on each.

Bailey South:
Black Mountain Chocolate will open a chocolate makerspace in this building.

Credit: winston_360

Credit: bill_odoowod

Credit: copperhead.studio

Credit: coffeeparkwsnc

Credit: suntansuperman336

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Credit: copperhead.studio

Credit: sundaesundayblog

Credit: lotusyogaacademy

Interior (Friday 8/14):

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Monument Stairs in the 1926 power plant building - This is COR-TEN Steel and will have a rust appearance when they finish (Friday 8/14):

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Credit: marian_elisabeth

Morris Building:

Credit: rongfit

Merschel Park:

You can also see Liberty Park in the background, which just finished grading:

Credit: winstonwatchman

110 South Broad Street:
The most hated construction project in Winston-Salem is almost completed. In all of the years I've posted on this city, I don't think I've ever found another project this hated? Maybe the City will expand the overlay to the ballpark area if enough people complain about it? I view that as the real problem.

Credit: duracleanbymaidover

Credit: duracleanbymaidover

Kaleideum Science Museum:

A look at Liberty Walk from the construction site - The under construction museum will connect to Liberty Walk:

Credit: bregel_photography

The Easley Apartments:

Someone grading the massive mountain of dirt, on the far right side of this photograph:

Credit: TrueLook

Blackberry Farm Brewing Company:
Imagine this downtown craft beer brewery on Liberty Street, in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District!

Credit: hey_raj

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
Work is about to start on demolishing the existing restroom and concession structures and replacing them with newer/modern structures.

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
The historic neon signs are currently being restored and yes, they will appear in the development. This will become a Winston-Salem neon museum, which is very awesome!

Do you remember this, from a few months ago? It's now cleaned and reinstalled in the hotel:

Credit: roberthallws

New neon tubing on this historic neon sign:

Credit: roberthallws

Perimeter Point Building:
A tech company has purchased this building with plans to move their headquarters here. No details at this time.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

Notice the big changes at the building on the far left:

Credit: sheiskings

Rooftop update:

Credit: TrueLook

Link Apartments 4th Street:

Credit: asburymotors

The site surrounded by a red construction fence:

Credit: professorbstudios

St. Pauls Restoration:

Credit: wellswt_

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: andreaderflinger

Winston Lake Park Improvements:

And we have a rendering for some of the improvements:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:

Work on the 1964 and 1976 buildings:

Credit: winstonwatchman

311 East Third:
According to Atrium Health, this proposed 12-14 storey building in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is projected to be the hub of a "Silicon Valley of Healthcare Research." Will it become this? ...I guess we shall see? Atrium Health has deep pockets and their investments are doing very well. They are said to have the money to complete this. More details are expected "in the coming months," but we may have to wait until the end of the year for everything to be finalized. They still don't have federal approval. Developer Wexford Science & Technology and their investors are also ready to start on new projects, including this one. We are just waiting on federal approval.

Winston-Salem often sees its largest construction projects during bad recessions.

1245 Ivy Avenue:
This downtown Art Deco building, designed by famous architect Albert Kahn, now has hotel rooms. This is the latest progress update.

Credit: thewarehouseonivy

Credit: thewarehouseonivy

Salem Parkway:
They are replacing signage and installing fiber-optics for the traffic cameras. Completion of Salem Parkway is scheduled for October or November 2020.

Credit: ivanrgonzalez

Wake Forest School of Engineering Expansion:
We don't see many updates on this university engineering school's big expansion in downtown's IQ District.

They have a nice view of the apartment building across the High Line from their building:

Credit: tylerxlancaster

TrueLook Headquarters:

And this tech company headquarters project is now under construction. It is an old warehouse from 1916:

Credit: blumconstruction

Credit: blumconstruction

500 West 5th:
Venture capital investor and new Winston Starts leader Robert Boles said "I came from Dallas, Texas, obviously a little bit larger city with a very strong entrepreneurial ecosystem. And I've been very impressed with what's been built here in Winston-Salem in fairly short order, and the collaboration that goes on between the players here is actually better than what I saw in Dallas."

Courthouse Parking Deck: Built!
According to Tindall, this structure has 20,600 linear feet of precast (the equivalent of almost 4 miles!). General Contractor: Shelco, LLC; Architect: Walter Robbs; Structural Engineer: SKA Consulting Engineers. With this project's completion, the County can now move forward with the new Forsyth County Courthouse.

Credit: tindall.corporation

Credit: tindall.corporation

Joyner's Bar (Flatiron Building): Built!
This project is officially completed and open, as of Friday August 7th. You have to make reservations and become a member. Much of the building is from 1868, including the brick and wood floors. This Los Angeles developer of entertainment venues and celebrity homes and their NYC development partner did an amazing job! Interestingly, their projects in Winston-Salem are the only projects they have built outside Los Angeles and NYC that I'm aware of.

Credit: joynersws

Twin City Motor Building Adaptive-reuse:
Workers are starting on a new interior staircase from the basement to the roof. It will require cutting into all of the floors. The original 1926 windows are restored, painted, and have new glass. The building should look amazing once the lobby showroom windows are restored. ArchStudio7 is now confirmed as the architect.

A look at the restored top floor windows (between the two red water feature towers):

Credit: saintsingin_in_therain

Applying a cleaner to the floor:

Credit: Twin City Motor Company

Cleaning the floor:

Polishing the concrete:

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter: Built!
The HVAC contractor said this is a "just completed" project. So, I will label it completed.

Credit: stylecommodity

Credit: linkaptsiq

Alternative Transportation:

Oliver Cycling Park:
Oliver Cycling Park will be completed in October or November. The Portrait Project sculpture will be completed in September, but unveiling could be delayed until Spring 2021, due to COVID-19.

Credit: kaleph

Downtown Streetscape:
Work begins in October 2020 on streetscape changes and two-way conversions to First and Second streets. The new streetscape and pavement should open by June 2021. They couldn't start earlier, since they had to wait on Salem Parkway's completion. I know many of us wanted to know why they couldn't move this up while businesses are closed or restricted due to COVID-19, which would've minimized the impact. I still think they should've started with Liberty and Main streets first, since COVID-19 restrictions are likely to still be in place into the start of next year and these two streets have more retail businesses that could be disrupted by the work. Work on those two streets won't start until the middle of next year, with full completion set for 2022.

Work is starting on streetscape "restoration" in downtown's Old Salem Neighborhood:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
Workers are preparing to install gabion baskets on the ends of the land bridge, so it appears to be anchored in stone.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
Workers are still pouring concrete for this stretch of bicycle commuting infrastructure. The bicycle flyover bridge that will connect this to the new land bridge, new Oliver Cycling Park, and an existing bike commuting path will start construction at the end of this year. Possibly November or December of 2020.

Green Street Pedestrian Bridge:
After the installation of safety fencing and lighting and after it is connected to the concrete walking and bike paths, this suspension bridge will open to pedestrians and cyclists.

Credit: addair_emily

Low Line:

Credit: rickbeldenphotography

Off-Subject:

Cities Bouncing Back - Winston-Salem:
Wallethub ranked Winston-Salem one of the cities whose unemployment rates are bouncing back the most. Winston-Salem's transformative boom is fueled by tech startups, which recovered very quickly or never declined. Some of them have experienced their greatest growth due to COVID-19 (such as Swipeby) and others are raising record amounts of money for expansion (such as Fluree). You can see some of these tech company projects on this thread, such as TrueLook Headquarters, Sentinel Commons, 500 West 5th, and Bailey South.

FinanceBuzz Top Cities for Newly Remote Workers:
"Some large employers, such as Twitter and Facebook, have already announced they will make remote work permanent for their workforces. With this newfound freedom to live anywhere, it makes sense that some workers might consider a change of location. A recent FinanceBuzz survey found that more than one-quarter of Americans are considering a move because of COVID-19. We want the best for this newly remote workforce, so we dug into the data and compiled the best cities for remote workers. We took a different approach and found cities that offered many of the amenities you might find in hubs such as NYC and San Francisco, only at a fraction of the cost."

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
"Winston-Salem has a low cost of living and a walkable city center packed with craft breweries, museums, and shopping. You could spend two days touring the city’s historic gardens, or drive a bit north to two state parks. There’s also an arts district covered in murals and mandalas, which makes Winston-Salem an Instagram-worthy city."

Winston-Salem finished ahead of Austin on the list, which is impressive. Housing prices kept the city from finishing higher on the list.

Downtown Late Night Vendor Market:
If you're downtown on a Friday night, be sure to visit the Late Night Market, at Seventh and Main streets. Currently, there are 19 vendor spaces. Masks and social distancing are required.

The tunnels under the city:

Credit: bjhutchins007

Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: josephlukecline

Credit: mymindsg

Credit: deante_the_unabridged

Historic West Salem Neighborhood:

Credit: gleamingthecubes

New signage at the ballpark:

Credit: caseycreativellc

Credit: evangwynn

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Aug 15, 2020 at 7:23 AM.