View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2020, 6:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Music from someone named Matt, like me!
Video Link

Bailey South:

Third floor outdoor amenity area:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Protective railing along Fourth Street (Restaurant Row) is now installed:

Credit: kristin_koelsch

Credit: hmwilso

Blue glass on the sides:

Credit: plant64apts

Workers creating a 500 square-foot ceiling cloud for this building, in their shop:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Update from the developer - Friday (4/24):

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Mullion installation (Friday 4/24):

View from the third floor outdoor amenity area (Friday 4/24):

Credit: neiltolbert

They haven't done much with the attached 1926 power plant building recently:

Credit: camelcitymassage

Monday (4/27):

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Roof of the 1926 power plant building, Wednesday (4/29):

Credit: blkflycreative

Credit: jcoplin

Removing the scaffolding from the new "real brick" office building section (Wednesday 4/29):

Credit: aalicemoonn

An aerial view of the west facade brick progress:

Credit: akikochiba_md

Progress on first and second floor storefronts facing the Coal Pit:

Installing stairs:

Credit: ambass444

Credit: ambass444

Credit: juan_the_virgo

Credit: janetcooperbridge

Hyatt Place Hotel:
The developer will provide an update on this project next week.

Kaleideum Science Museum:
This is the month demolition begins on this project. Yes, they will demolish this bank building on Third Street for a new science museum.

Former bank building to be demolished for the new science museum:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Moxy Hotel:

8 West Third Street:
The building appears to have tenants in the office space, though I'm not sure if they have renovated any of the space? Is this still an active project? This is just my opinion, but since it's still early in the project, I think this developer should return to the original plan of converting this building to residential and retail.

Credit: momanothershade

Merschel Park:
The City and private developer, partnering on this project, will provide an update on this project next week.

Credit: CamelCity Riders

College Academic Commons:
Rogan Kersh announced Wake Forest University will suspend construction of a road through Davis Field. This will delay construction of the new building. At this time, we don't know how long this delay will be? They have also suspended roof replacement at Reynolda House and renovations of Luter Hall and Wait Chapel. Their other construction projects, on campus, will continue.

Link Apartments 4th Street:
The only remains of the former Security Life & Trust headquarters are the basement walls and basement floor.

Credit: vanherdehaage

Morris Building:
The developer is now preparing to move forward with this project. If I understand everything correctly, if construction isn't underway by January 12, the IQ District's landbank can repurchase the building from the developer.

1001:

Credit: lavenderandhoneykitchen

1814 Salt-Flax House Restoration: Built!
Restoration work appears to be completed on this 206 year-old house.

Credit: wellswt_

Salem Parkway:
The NCDOT is now working on the final layer of asphalt. They can't add the final layer where the dual tied-arch suspension bridge is located, due to the jacks holding-up the bridge deck. With COVID-19 reducing the number of people on the highways and commuting to downtown for work or entertainment, this is the perfect time to complete this work. Workers can work during the day without any problems and complete this work faster than originally planned. They will also work on ramps and decorative fencing.

Credit: Steve Shepard

Credit: cgill_i_am

815 North Trade Office Building:

Credit: CamelCity Riders

Dave McNair Mastering:
LMI Builders is the General Contractor for this project. They are in the demolition phase. Grammy Award-winning Dave McNair works with some of the biggest names in the music industry and is very well-known, so this is a major project for downtown Winston-Salem.

The Easley Apartments:

Demolishing part of a street to combine lots for a massive apartment building and new City park:

Yes, Winston-Salem's terrain is so rough, pedestrians on the sidewalk can look down on the roof of the ballpark's top floor luxury suites. People on the first floor of this new apartment building will look down on the ballpark from a high elevation.

You can see the ballpark lights and ballpark name at top of the video/scoreboard in the background:

500 West 5th:
Teall Capital will expand their corporate headquarters in this skyscraper by 25%.

This bar is now completed:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

311 East Third:
The Innovation Quarter has officially announced the creation of iQ Healthtech Labs. This is believed to be the organization that will anchor this proposed 11-14 storey building in downtown's IQ District, in a partnership with Atrium Health. This organization is designed to shorten the life cycle of taking healthtech solutions from ideation to the marketplace by creating collaborations between Innovation Quarter tenants, traditional and non-traditional partners, commercial markets, and potential investors. It will also improve medical school teaching and bring improved telemedicine across multiple hospital systems. They will be temporarily located in Bailey Power Plant and, when they move into this new proposed building, all five sectors of iQ Healthtech Labs will have their own physical space. I'm not sure how COVID-19 will impact this project, but with this announcement, it does appear to be moving forward? It should bring new jobs to downtown's IQ District, as well. A very exciting announcement!

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:

Credit: twincityt

East Second Avenue Apartments:

Credit: Alliance Architecture

Credit: Alliance Architecture

Nissen Building:
PMC Property Group of Philadelphia bought the 20-storey historic Nissen skyscraper for $30 million. The building was completed in 1926, following a merger involving Winston-Salem's largest automobile and horse carriage company (Nissen), and was the tallest skyscraper in the Carolinas. PMC Property Group now owns three buildings in downtown Winston-Salem. They had no official comment on the acquisition.

Interstate 74:
I think the bridges may have pine cone medallions on them (state tree)?

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Sentinel Commons:

Work is starting on the co-working space:

Credit: carolinehollinsdesigns

321 South Liberty:
Many people have wanted to see this and now it is happening! The large collection of historic buildings, at Liberty Street and Brookstown Avenue, will be restored for new retail/restaurant businesses. They are currently leasing, if you're interested. I think Arden is the developer?

Proposed:

Credit: LTP

Currently:

Credit: GSV

Green & West:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! I can now officially confirm the storefront, on this beautifully restored 1925 building, will become a neighborhood garden store. The remaining space is residential. They are pulling permits for the garden store upfit.

Mixed-use Adaptive-reuse:
Developer HEM + SPIRE is looking at a building in downtown Winston-Salem for a new adaptive-reuse project. Still waiting on final details. It's believed they are looking at 701 North Main, but it could be one of many properties they are considering. I did find photographs of a property they are looking at, which appears to have offices and a commercial loading/stock area in the basement. I can't identify the building from these images.

This is the preferred building:

Credit: wcmidd

It appears as if some interior demolition is completed:

Credit: wcmidd

Efird Block Restoration:
We finally have visible progress on the exterior, as workers restore the original window openings on the brick building and remove fencing that covered the storefront windows of the stone building next to it. Three historic structures are now officially merged into one building for Nationwide Insurance's downtown Arts District office. Workers are also working on a kitchen for an unnamed restaurant tenant in one of the two floors of retail spaces this building will have.

The start of visible exterior progress:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Leasing is very strong at this new apartment and retail building. From what I've seen, most of the new residents in this building are moving to downtown Winston-Salem from other cities and states and most are in healthcare or research/tech fields.

Credit: sunnnnnshine_

Credit: linkaptsiq

View from north balconies:

Credit: mikesaigh

Alternative Transportation:

Green Street Pedestrian Bridge:

An update on the new suspension bridge:

Credit: cgill_i_am

Low Line:

Workers installing stairs from the Low Line to the Coal Pit:

Wednesday (4/29):

Off-Subject:

Most visitors likely don't know about this - Colonial structures not far from Wake Forest University (to the northwest):

Credit: Preserve Forsyth

New artwork with a COVID-19 theme:

Credit: wynoceros

Credit: boshnovart

Credit: w.ll__photography

Free social distancing concert traveling through Winston-Salem neighborhoods:

Credit: Servepro North

Social distancing concerts are now common in downtown Winston-Salem and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Credit: winstonwandering

Your City