View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 5:47 AM
BANNED

Gov. Gage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Lorendoc and I got together yesterday for a little more urban exploration, and one of our stops was Gage Mansion at 7000 East Gage in Bell Gardens. This is one of a hundred or so sites on my "Visit One Of These Days" list. I knew nothing about this place except that it was said to be the oldest standing residence in L.A. county. (Construction began either in 1771, or 1795, or some other year, depending on who we believe.)

Driving west on Gage just west of Slauson, we hoped for the best and searched the left side of the street for something resembling a 200 year old mansion. We saw a sign for 7000 E. Gage, but the property was quite the opposite of what we expected to see!
Most very interesting post David! I'm not too far from there, I should visit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Gage Mr. Gage was a transplanted Midwest attorney who came to CA to find his fortune and married a distant relative of a Spanish land grant owner and acquired her 27 acre property. That property was what was then left of the San Antonio Rancho which is south and east of the LA civic center and bounded on the east side by the San Gabriel River. His "casa" is located right next to this river.

Here is a portrait of Gov. Henry T. Gage and his wife Francisca Gage.

AKSmiley Lib.

Gov. Henry Gage.

CHS

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM.