View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 9:12 PM

I didn't intend these two posts to be consecutive, but I left it over 24 hours between them!

Here's another Coffee Dan's we haven't seen before - Santa Monica. It has the same architects as the Reseda branch we saw yesterday (above), and the photos date from a year earlier. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 1734: Douglas Honnold and John Rex, Coffee Dan's (Santa Monica, Calif.),1954".

Coffee Dan's used two different typefaces for their logo - this is the one with the thinner letters.

The number visible in the picture above, combined with the signpost visible here, tells us that the address was 130 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica.

The back of the building was quite plain and utilitarian. Across Wilshire you can see the parking lot for the Miramar Hotel.

The exit of Coffee Dan's parking lot.

The counter seating area.

This end looks very light and airy.

No window views for the people in the booths.

A couple more interior pictures.

All from Getty Research Institute

I couldn't find any reference to this branch when I Googled it, so I've got no idea how long it lasted. MartinTurnbull's page about Biff's has the advert below which includes a Santa Monica branch at 130 Wilshire Boulevard, so I'm guessing that this Coffee Dan's became Biff's at some point. Also note the Reseda address, which is only a couple of blocks from the Coffee Dan's we saw yesterday.
NB. I've straightened the original image and remade the missing parts of the border.

www.martinturnbull.com

The Miramar Hotel is still there (now called the Fairmont Miramar Hotel), but the Coffee Dan's building is long gone.

GSV