View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 5:10 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback. :-) Hoodrat, I was wrong. The main part of the Utilities building was completed in 1953. I don't know why I thought otherwise. I think that they built a large addition onto it in more recent times, but I can't seem to find any immediate info on that online.

My house is a prime example of the exact type of boring suburban construction that I despise. It is probably worth noting that I rent, and would never, ever, actually buy a house like this:

I think that this scene just screams "Sunday Afternoon". The freeway is always busy, and the big league retailers are usually packed with people, but on the weekend many pockets of the city still look like a ghost town without much traffic or action, except for the occasional person wandering aimlessly:

Lincoln High School:

President Lincoln's stony gaze seems fixated on the overflowing trash can situated in front of him:

Urbanism and philosophy seem to go hand and hand. Plaque reads: "Erected 1913 [with tasteful write-in presumably added some time after that]

'Wisdom is the principal thing: Therefore get wisdom, and with all thy getting, get understanding. - Proverbs IV:7'":

A yard sale is taking place here. When they aren't wading around in plastic swiming pools from K-Mart, this is what Tacoma people do for fun during the summer months:

The oncoming traffic is I-5 Northbound. This is an infamous clog spot, as the 5 lanes of traffic visible to the left merge with the 3 primary I-5 northbound lanes (the ones with lighter colored pavement). The two lanes farthest left connect traffic to the downtown core, north Tacoma, and Highway 7, the main North/South Arterial that runs through the central part of town:

The corner stone of Holy Rosary Catholic Church reads 1910. It would be interesting to get a photo of what it looks like inside, but I rather imagine that the folks there would be less than happy about having a camera-wielding tourist attend mass :

Directly across the street from Holy Rosary is this house situated in the trees:

The 38th Street International District is where oriental people go to buy their ethnic foods and products. On Sunday most or all of those businesses are closed, but during week days it is rather busy with pedestrian traffic: