View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I happened across the following two snapshots earlier this evening on eBay.

"Outdoor Sets, Columbia Studios, Burbank Calif."

Columbia Studios was located in Hollywood's "Gower Gulch", so this must be the Columbia Ranch in the valley.

below: Columbia Ranch

old file / no date.

I've been trying to locate the buildings in this aerial of the old Columbia Ranch in Burbank (I haven't had much luck....yet)

while googling...I also found this interesting tidbit.

at
http://www.columbiaranch.net/history.html

Here are the eBay pics enlarged

This one was obviously taken just beyond the perimeter of the "ranch". (at first I thought this was the studio's power-plant)

above: old western street? (if only we could see the other side of that hanging sign)

both images found at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Phot...UAAOSwo0JWNsgm
At least one of the soundstages which back up to Pass avenue are still there. A long narrow storage building next to the sound is also still there as is the fountain and pool located on the curved street in the middle of the property.

The property had bad fires in 1970 which wiped out a lot of the sets. The first fire burned a quarter of the lot. I could see the glow from the fires from my house on the hill, about three miles away. Some sets were rebuilt but then burned again in later 1970. The north east corner was sold off at some point not too long after that and there was a supermarket put in and various shops, fast food and a drug store (now CVS).

I remember that at the inside corner of the retail area where there was some parking, there were a number of feral cats which apparently roamed the movie lot and were being fed on the wall between the retail space and the lot by someone. I had an aunt and uncle who lived in the neighborhood and they had some "overflow" cats in their yard as well.