View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

above: I'm curious about the tall stand-alone smokestack on the left.
I can't tell you what it was, but I can tell where it was. Here's a better view taken from the Lankershim building in 1917. When I first saw this angle I thought the smokestack was on top of the Pacific Telephone Company Building at 716 S Olive, but that didn't fit with e_r's picture. Then I realized that there just happens to be a small structure on the roof that looks like it's the base of the smokestack across the street.

USC Digital Library

It's hard to see, but the smokestack was still there in 1972. I can't see it on the 1980 image.

Historic Aerials

The Baist maps don't show the smokestack, but they do show the Hotel Gilpin between it and Olive. The space between the smokestack and Grand is labeled "Bouton's Sub". Between 1914 and 1921, the Coulter Dry Goods Store appeared on the corner of 7th and Olive - would this have needed a slightly detached smokestack?

Speaking of the Pacific Telephone Company Building at 716 S Olive, BifRayRock posted this picture last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
I found the reference below in 'An Arch Guidebook to Los Angeles by Robert Winter'.

books.google.com