View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 6:11 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Decatur Development Thread

Well, I've decided that it's about time that Decatur get it's own...

To start off. This is from yesterday, but what they hey! Athens State University and Calhoun Community College want to join together to create a fine arts campus in downtown Decatur. Sadly, so far, the president of Calhoun has been the largest opponent of the idea... but! in yesterday's Decatur Daily, there finally seems to be a consensus!

Here's the link! http://www.decaturdaily.com/detail/31939.html

I think this is a GREAT idea. This is going to get a lot more support now that the state has approved incentives for the film industry. There's still a long way to go before this becomes a reality, but I'm finally starting to think that this could actually be realized.

Along with this. This isn't actually proposed, and hasn't been mentioned by anyone that I know of... except for me. But, I think it would be an awesome idea to, once a month (or every other month), close off 2nd Avenue and/or Bank Street to auto traffic and create a strictly pedestrian district for entertainment and socialization. The Princess Theatre could have special programs for each of these nights.

I'm surprised that more cities don't at least TRY this once or twice to see what happens. It seems like it could be very successful...

Anyways. That's all for now

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State