View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:12 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ff--filli.html

Chicago as a high-speed rail hub: Has the time for this idea finally come?

......... Groups pushing for a Midwest, high-speed rail network centered in Chicago, an idea that the Chicago Architectural Club explored last year with an ideas competition for a station for such a network (above left). It would be located just east of Union Station. Despite the practical hurdles in its way, like the two buildings now on the site, perhaps this is an idea whose time has finally come.

Been thinking about this of late and want to get thoughts. If theoretically Chicago were to develop a new HSR/inter-city "hub" what/where plan would you like to see.......

- Union St./Gateway Cener - Demolishing of 222 S.Riverside Plaza (like the Chicago Architectural Club winner depicts). Pros - Could make Union Stations platform areas much brighter and modern instead of the dingy caves they are now. Has a great potential riverside aspect. Cons - The demolishing of a +40 story building isn't very environmental sensitive plus downright expensive, hassles for commuters for a few years. How I see it (please correct me where I have facts/logistics wrong)....

- West Loop Transit Center -.....Pro's - It fully built out as planned would be a highly integrated intermodal station with new tracks that would no longer crowd commuter and inter-city trains for same space. Not really sure how many tracks could be devoted and built under Clinton St. Cons - Sounds expensive if just HSR portion is built, sounds dreadful expensive if all transit levels are built. A subterranean hub may be a wonder of engineering but doesn't provide much of a street presence.

- Old Post Office - Only listing this because I have seen it mentioned a few times as a possibility. Pros - The building and tracks are already in place and potential adjoining hotel and offices subway (could build a connection to Clinton Blue Line I imagine rather easily). Cons - Still dingy subterranean platforms. Not sure if track logistics would provide for good traffic flow or make it even feasible. Plans for the Old Post Office seem in place.

- Completely new station outside of downtown connected by transit. I think there are cases where this is being done in Europe/Asia. Pros - Much more creative freedom and less expense to build since no need to demolish or excavate any building or streets. Could provide plenty of room for expansion and be built so there would be minimal interference of current commuter rail. Cons - Not sure if I am looking over some major hurdles that would prevent these locations or not. Not immediately accessible to downtown destinations. Would have to build or extend a transit line to connect the station to downtown which greatly increases cost. The area of the locations I have in mind are dreary to say the least.

Two Potential locations?
#1 - Racine / Kinzie
#2 - Canal / 14th Pl.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...2538&encType=1

Last edited by nomarandlee; Feb 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM.