View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a slightly better view of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's. I found a couple of other shots from a similar angle, but although they were larger, they were also more blurry, so don't really add anything. The last time the Vine Street Coffee Dan's appears in the City Directories is 1956. The 1960 edition just lists a business called Nebb's at 1511.

Alison Martino's "Vintage Los Angeles"/rescarta.lapl.org
Excellent find HossC! I've never even seen "that much" of this location's exterior before!

How do I find the "city directories" listings? I mentioned that there seems to be a discrepancy if both the Vine and Hollywood Blvd. locations were open at the same time. I wanted to find out when the Hollywood Blvd. listing might have first appeared. The current location where the Hollywood Blvd. Coffee Dan's was is now occupied by a McDonald's. It's a huge space--don't know if C.D.'s covered that whole area. That address is 6776 Hollywood Blvd. but I don't know if it would be the same. The Guinness museum's address next door is 6801 (formerly the Hollywood Theatre) and the B of A on the corner is 6764.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Not to get off subject about coffee dans(Im a norms fan),but notice in this shot,capitol records has its headquarters here(this was before the tower). I always knew they were in this building but never saw a picture. Now for a family connection, my Dad was signed to Capitol and when his first single was released he called my Grandmother and told her to buy a couple from each record store in the area...she didn't get the idea so she just went to Wallich Music City and bought every single 45 of his....and guess what, not any single from his Capitol years charted.
I hadn't seen a shot of the Capitol headquarters, either, unihikid. I also didn't realize how much "Wallich's" had been redesigned, if that's the right word, over the years, either. When Capitol moved into their iconic building up the street, their old studios became Dot Records.

About your Dad you said "Not any single from his Capitol years..." did he have others? Do you mind telling us his name? (Cool if you don't want to!)