View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:25 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think South City is about as good as you're going to get from South Salt Lake and their branding. The city likely wants to stay away from identifying too much with Salt Lake, as they probably want to be their own city with their own identity. Uptown takes away from that, IMO. It makes the area even less distinguishable from Salt Lake City.

In fact, I am surprised they even went with South City for that project for that reason.

But I don't anticipate South Salt Lake using a term that strips their own identity. Especially since they are clearly trying to create an identity beyond just being a suburban city south of Salt Lake.
I was actually thinking that "Uptown" has the potential to sound more hip than Downtown and that it would be a way of subtly competing with the latter. It simultaneously associates the area with SLC and differentiates it into something unique (more so than the city's actual name).

But they've already gone with South City, so I'm all for calling the adjacent area of SLC Uptown instead.