View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
GW's post brought to mind the fact that there were two streets that originally bisected the expansive area now claimed by the LACMA between Wilshire and Sixth Street. An older Thomas Guide might provide a more definitive answer, but whether it was Orange Grove or Ogden or Genesee, one road paralleled the Original May Co. complex. Another road, which is what I believe is depicted in GW's photo, eventually permitted access to what may have been called May Co's Annex store and a separate multi story parking complex. Look closely and you will notice two structures that were separated by a glorified alley "roughly" paralleling Wilshire.

I recall visiting the parking structure when May Co. was conducting an "outdoor" sale "in" the structure. (This street closure causes me to recall another street closure that ran through CBS's Beverly-Fairfax facility and the Farmer's Mkt now part of the Grove.)

For what its worth, motion pictures were taken of the May Co. ground breaking. Even a Goodyear blimp was on hand. Video is found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqbeebckw7M

This wonderful thread has touched on many "noorish" gas stations. Combining gas stations with Miracle Mile May Company, causes me to recall a station adjacent to the May Co., - on the corner of Fairfax and Sixth Street. I vaguely remember the station from the early 80's. It may have been self-service, in that the gas pumps required the use of silver-dollar sized tokens. "Power"-something?

*This photo evidently pre-dates the gas station, but I do not believe it has been posted here before. In the center of the picture is a white rectangle. I am guessing it was a loading dock, but I suppose it could have been an access to a subterranean area. Note the road bisecting the property between Wilshire and Sixth Street.

*Look closely and you can see the image of that station near the May Co. "M" in this photo (3:30 O'clock, far right hand side.) The picture indicates the presence of a spire - that I do not remember.

*In the quest to locate a photo of the subject gas station, I noticed the third photo (ca '51). It appears to have been taken from the NE corner of 6th and Fairfax looking SW. I believe the Whelan Drugs is currently occupied by a Dollar Store.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/controller/view/whit-m1428.html?x=1335382897948
there was indeed a 76 gas station there til at least the late 90s,i use to fill my bike tires up there.it was a very mid century station,i want to say it had a garage,but what i remember most is that there was no boarderline for the may company and gas station.