View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2009, 2:54 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
State schools are supposed to be for the masses.
Really? Don't tell that to UCLA and Cal Berkley.

Quote:
Higher tuition will price lower and middle-income students out of the U of A and ASU. There are many in-state students at both universities who can barely afford tuition now.
College is expensive, cry me a river.

Quote:
Forcing lower-income students into one university will create stratification of students based on economics. This is 2009. That is not a model for higher education that we should be striving for.
So instead of people paying a reasonable price for a service, we should artificially hold the price down to benefit a small minority?

I get SO sick of people bitching about the price of college. Do people realize all the financial aid, scholarships, etc that are out there? If you didn't do well enough in High School to earn a scholarship, tough, Im sorry. I went to a school that costs 3 to 4 times as much as the Arizona schools and didn't pay for most of it because I hit the books in High School and worked my ass off looking for scholarships. If you can't do the same, get a wrench, learn to fix a car. College is not some birth right, we ought to quit treating it as such.

Speaking of costs here's some good news: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...su0508-ON.html
Quote:
Crow: ASU reaches 'calming point' over finances
7 comments May. 8, 2009 05:15 PM
Associated Press
Arizona State University President Michael Crow says money from the federal stimulus program and a new tuition surcharge will provide the Tempe-based university with a financial "calming point."

Crow told university faculty and staff in a video message e-mailed Friday that the additional funding will provide ASU with "sufficient resources to financially stabilization the institution" despite state funding cuts.

He said university officials plan to use the next two years focusing on lower-cost options and on faculty recruitment and retention.

In Crow's words, "while the financial hurricane is far from over, we believe that we are stable moving forward."

Last edited by HooverDam; May 9, 2009 at 3:06 AM.