View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 1:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
SMU and DAL both have really increased their recruiting of overseas students (India and China especially). I know at least 15-20 Chinese people that are planning on staying after uni. A lot can be said for the laid back way of life here, the cleaner air, more safety, etc. Years ago, many would just come over, get their degree, and go back home afterwards.

SMU's Chinese enrolment has increased massively just over the past 2-3 years. It's great to see.
Definitely. Chinese immigration and money has fueled the growth in Vancouver and to a lesser degree in Toronto. This would be a great way to increase immigration levels in Nova Scotia.

I hope Nova Scotians will be open-minded to immigration. Immigration from India would also benefit Halifax since India is closer and immigrants will want to be able to visit home on a regular basis. Having directly flights to London makes Halifax more attractive to overseas immigration. I think that if Nova Scotia welcomes Asian and Indian immigrants then it will become an attractive location since it is close by plane to major population centers such as New York, Boston, London, UK, Toronto, etc.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM.