View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2006, 9:52 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm
It's pretty raw but it's quite impressive nonetheless. I don't recognize some of them though. What's the giant pyramid/shard? And in the picture of the green building there's a bloated ripoff of Big Ben's tower on the left-hand side, I don't recognize that one either.
The giant shard doesn't exist yet, and probably won't even have that shape. It's just that the biggest plot in business bay has been reserved by the developers of the infrastructure and in lots of renders there is a very tall tower present there (the tallest always). Of course it's just speculation at this stage but most likely a huge tower will be built there. I just made it look like that because a 500m box would ruin the whole thing .

You're right about that big ben ripoff. It's supposed to be a clock tower (like big ben) and not only will it be some eyesore, but is also built in such a way so that everyone notices it. It's right near the emirates towers and will stick up over everything else and that whole stretch will be ruined by this pile of shite. Worse is that it's already under construction

As someone on SSC said, where are the Nimbys when you need them

edit: to add to that, it's not only the fact that it's a big ben ripoff that's bad but the colours are so bad and dull aswell. It will completely clash with the ultra-futuristic emirates towers, the tower, and capricorn. Also look at this tower that's to be built in the same area. I see references to the bank of china, emirates towers, and some aztec temple. It looks brilliant but the architect's time has been wasted and he might have just thrown up a giant commieblock because the only thing people will now notice (and definitely not for the good reasons) is a giant big ben. And I have proof aswell that the excellently designed towers there will be ignored. When you looked at that pic all that stuck in your head was the image of a big ben ripoff, not the superfuturistic tower beside it.
Stupid arseholes!! Grrrrrr!

Rant done!

edit no.2: I think it'd be cool if they did do a shard-type design for that tower, especially if they kept it really simple. A simple but soaring tower would be a break from all the flashy ones and would be especially impressive at that height.

Last edited by malec; May 17, 2006 at 10:51 PM.