View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 12:16 AM
fried white rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor View Post

Jonas, 4 years and you're already aquired a British 'asset'
I guess my 'problem' is that due to my extensive interest in Asia I have had a chance to try some of the best public transportation systems in the world (that's Hong Kong and Singapore) which made London public transport look decrepit in my eyes.

Another perspective I see things from is the 'balance' of public transport v private road transport (i.e. road network and cars).

In America most cities have insufficient public transport but have indeed massive and convenient road/freeway system which compensates that. You can get anywhere in a car in a short period of time (apart from heavy rush hours). In London car is something you have to forget unless ready to spend hours maneuvering through chaotic network of narrow streets i.e. no highways in central part of the city and even supposed 'loops' (North and South circular) are insufficient.

Given that road network in a city is totally insufficient (as it is in London), public transport should be state-of-the-art and cheap. Again, it is neither in London. People are being forced out of their cars but the alternative they have is far from perfect.

I don't believe London could ever improve its roads which is why public transport should be made top-notch. It would take loads of cash but it's possible.

Those improvements we see are good but that looks more like maintenance rather than significant upgrades (exceptions being Crossrail which we'll hopefuly have built some day, and East London line).

And yet, I still cannot understand what is the reason why buses (not to mention tube trains) have no air-conditioning. I can't understand how elderly and other less physically capable people are able to bear that and not die in hotter summer days!