View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:38 AM

I bought Olympus E-M1 Mark II and Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro at the end of 2019. 20 megapixels and claimed 6.5 stops of combined in-body and in-lens image stabilization. Big leap from my Olympus C-7070 from 2005, with only 7 megapixels and no image stabilization.

I was planning to go to Vietnam to visit relatives, including my 2-year-old cousin. Once-in-a-lifetime moments needed to captured, both photo and video, and camera from 2005 just wouldn't be enough, especially for video. Of course, for a months-long overseas trip in a rainy tropical country, a more versatile and weather-sealed camera-lens combo without need to bring along a tripod is ideal, plus more combined storage space than the 1.8GB of my C-7070WZ.

Of course, trip got cancelled anyways due to COVID, didn't get to meet my cousin while he was still 2 years old. Maybe I didn't really need a new camera that badly. Certainly didn't need full frame. Are my 2020 photos actually better than my 2019 and earlier photos? I'll let you guys decide.

Maybe upgrading is not so important, but it's still feels good having a newer, up-to-date camera that I can hand-hold at 1/2 second shutter speed and still get sharp images. Just need to learn the new controls and get used to the "faux SLR" shape and size (the C-7070WZ was a "faux rangefinder" compact).