View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Graffiti doesn't seem to have the same connotations everywhere in the world. The area that MonkeyRonin posted may be slightly gritty, but it's certainly not blighted or decayed in any sense.
yea i mean go to Buenos Aires and theres grafitti on virtually (literally?) every building. you can make of it whatever you want but the reality is these areas would not be in any way considered blighted. its generally accepted and a cultural thing. i mean maybe by American suburban country club standards it would be unfathomable, but to basically anyone outside that sort of wealthy first world bubble its simply normal.

i think its also worthwhile to rank this into tiers. and the lowest end you have gang grafitti, which i dont think anyone would consider to have merit or worth.

above that you have simple taggings, which is probably just some kid scrawling his name on walls, or political messaging.

after that you get into more elaborate grafitti, stuff that is still technically tagging but more elaborate and requiring more skill and patience.

after that you get into what most people consider street art (and likely what someone would be disappointed to see washed away).

sometimes theyre sanctioned by the building owner, sometimes theyre not.

sometimes they all coexist at the exact same time

Last edited by Via Chicago; May 23, 2019 at 2:56 PM.