View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
WOW! Treras! Remember that post where you said something about the new Google Earth? Was that you? Anyways, I just checked out San Francisco and EVERY building there has a model. It's amazing. I didn't know all that could be done! Even the small 2 story houses have textures on them! You guys should check it out.
It is looking good - especially when the real-time cloud layer and shadow is turned on. However, the detail level of the buildings isn't great though - similar to what has been done for many cities in VE already last year...just quick massings of most buildings.

There's several cities in the world now done like that for GE. But, by comparison, check out almost any US and a few Canadian cities in VE. GE definitely has the performance edge.

The best modeled city I think in GE is still probably Denver though (for high quality models), as the Google SU team did most of that. A large section of Berlin that's been modeled is also one of the most detailed I've seen...

Here's a comparison of San Fran in GE, and the same angle in VE:

EDIT: I should mention, when I say Berlin, I mean the model downloadable here - not the Best of 3D Warehouse buildings. This shows off the level of detail that can be achieved. It's a bit of a performance pig though:

Last edited by IntotheWest; May 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM.