View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic Sailor View Post
No vacancy
It’s been called a crisis for over a decade, but the Yukon’s housing situation has never been this bad. How can the territory get runaway housing costs under control?

Michel Proulx Sep. 6, 2022
Housing prices are at or near all-time highs in the Yukon, rental units have never been harder to find and a record number of people are homeless.

The housing crisis is nothing new to the territory — it’s been described as a crisis for more than a decade — but it’s never been this bad, says Kwanlin Dün First Nation Chief Doris Bill.

“I’m hearing a lot of stories about people couch surfing and … living in very not-so-safe situations,” she says.

She adds that many people, especially since the pandemic, have been moving to the Yukon.

“And it’s created a situation in the city where … we’re at capacity,” she says. “We don’t have any more houses left.”

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...housing-crisis
Well, for one, they could get rid of their height limit of.... 25 metres. I'm not saying Whitehorse needs skyscrapers but for the largest city in the territories by population, I'm not sure a few 50-70 metre towers would hurt them.