View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 9:31 PM

Let's see, the skylight building isn't The Marketplace which most patrons just called the food court when it was there. If you look at the very top left of the Shulman photo,
that is the 1901 Avenue of the Stars building, labeled on the 1988 map above, so the "skylight" building must be the square in between the Broadway (not in Shulman photo)
and the Bullocks.

In the Shulman photo it's hard to decipher what's in between the skylight building and Bullocks, there's an abundance of shadows there, and the skylights almost look like they
connect to the Bullocks building or overlap the building they're on. The map has the skylight building in a white walkway area between the two buildings and that's what I believe
it to be despite the way the photo may look.

I used to frequent the place from 1987 and the next 15 plus years afterwards. It was always a friendly and welcoming place to hang out, eat, shop, see movies, people watch.
There was a lot of greenery in the shopping center that made a nice atmosphere and little of the extra advertising along the walkways. Their two remodels during the last fifteen
years have made it a chore to visit, if you ask me. One, there's simply too much there for a casual shopper and they've gotten rid of the greenery. The food court, which used to be
great was transferred to a top floor area where the sun beats down on you with no shade for relief, all stone and granite and music blaring at you. The food is all specialty high-end
stuff. I don't like the atmosphere there now, generally, as compared to what it once was. The last time I was over there was early December last year and I, and two others, had
brunch in one of the restaurants in Eataly (on the corner, see the above map-1801 Ave. of the Stars) where one of the twin buildings was located on Ave. of the Stars. It was quite
nice, but the shopping center has gotten way out of hand, if you ask me. For example, I think the three floors of Eataly itself encompass as much area as the original Century Square
did in it's entirety. The shopping center's spread has made the place a lot less amiable.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Aug 6, 2020 at 10:06 PM.