View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I apologize for not mentioning this sooner, but FEMA is collecting Section 106 comments from members of the public about the upcoming demolition of the Phillis Wheatley and Thomy Lafon Schools. Both of these are wonderful Modernist buildings that ALREADY meet elevation guidelines, despite the fact that they were built in the 1960s (built on stilts). If enough comments in favor of preserving these buildings are collected, then FEMA may deny the Recovery School District's request for funds for demolition, forcing them to re-evaluate their plans.

If you have time, please go to FEMA's Section 106 website and post comments. The comment period closes today - it would be great if some of you could submit comments and help save these buildings.

Wheatley

Lafon
I'm not sure these pictures do these building justice but the first one looks kind of interesting though. But specifically why should be against demolition. Economic considerations? i.e. can be renovated to perform its intended purposes cheaper. Archtectural considerations? Based on these pictures kind of a hard sell. I read some of the comments which keep bringing up the term mid-century modern or something like that. Just because it meets the definition of some architectural style of times past does that mean we keep it around?