View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
___

SIDEBAR: In reading about the Canteen's expenses, one of these expenses was "a single-page, legal sized mimeographed sheet titled "Chatter"
and was created soon after it opened. It was handed out to servicemen as they walked through the doors. It covered entertainment highlights,
the following week's schedule of band's [yay, look what'll be here when we're shipped out!] and tid-bits of information about Hollywood."

I found this surprising as I've never seen any photos of the servicemen holding these sheets; there are no photographs of any of them in the
sources. They don't do it in the film, either. Wonder if they kept these while they were doing it?
___
Hollywood Canteen CHATTER: I found three examples of this handout in
the Margaret Herrick Library Digital Collection!

Here's one of them:

Margaret Herrick Library Digital Collections

I noticed Virginia O'Brien's name on this sheet as an upcoming guest! I don't remember why, but someone I know took me to a place downtown one weekend night, like around 1986. It was a place aging stars went to perform if they felt like it. (I can't remember where it was or what it was called.) But he wanted to go because Virginia O'Brien was performing! So we saw her and met her afterwards.

She asked what we did and my friend blurted out that I worked at M-G-M in the video department (not true, I was buyer for a small video store chain) and she wanted me to give her my number and ask me questions about availability at some point. I did, and she did call me several times and we also corresponded by mail about a few things. (She was honorary mayor of Wrightwood for awhile.)

**I just found this info online: In the 80's she created a cabaret act, "Virginia O'Brien Salutes the Great MGM Musicals," which was recorded at the Masquer's Club in Hollywood, and is currently available on CD and on iTunes! That's not where I saw her, it was downtown, but this is what I saw.
I didn't know it was on CD!

A lot of film fans know her from The Harvey Girls. My favorite is her appearance in a Marx Brothers movie called The Big Store.

Even though she was under contract to M-G-M, she NEVER got included in one of their That's Entertainment films. When they decided to do a third one I thought sure she would be included. There's an extra on the dvd of M-G-M stars being interviewed at the premiere of it and Virginia is one of them. A reporter asks her if she'll be in this one. She replied, "I don't know, I haven't seen it yet." Alas, sadly and inexplicably, she was not in any of them. If you see these films and then see a lot of her clips, you won't understand why.

She was a singer who carved out a niche for herself because of the unusual manner she'd belt out a song. IMDB says, "in a Sphinx like way." (?)

She's often referred to as "statuesque" and always seems so tall compared to everyone else, but her imdb bio says she was 5' 6 1/2", which doesn't seem so tall. Was everyone else that short?

Virginia O'Brien (center) with Gloria DeHaven and June Allyson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagD2b1TDXs

Click this youtube link to see her rendition of "A Little Spanish Town" from the MGM film Thousands Cheer. I chose it because the other two ladies sing first, and then Virginia does, and it gives you a great contrast and idea of her unique style. Also a 40's vibe.

And then if you have time, look at other youtube videos of her. You can't go wrong with her rendition of Rock-a-Bye Baby! A hoot!

If I could go back in time I'd ask her about the Hollywood Canteen!

She was born in Noirish Los Angeles!